Come and join us at our 2017 Camp Open House with activities and free horse rides starting at 2pm, 4pm program with a free supper to follow. Donations are collected during the program for those wanting to donate towards the upcoming summer.
We are excited to introduce you to our interim director for the summer! Her name is Jessica McQuarrie, and she comes from near Fredericton, NB. Jessica can't wait to come serve at Dauphin this summer and lead our staff team to one of our best summers yet! She has grown up the daughter of a camp director, and has always spent her summers at camp. Make sure you stop in and say hi to Jessica this summer (or better yet, come and be a camper/serve for a week and meet her then)- she would love to meet you!
If you are a parent who never went to camp yourself it might take a while to realize that summer camp is more than babysitting. Camps provide a safe, healthy, positive, supervised environment where children will grow and experience a true community of their peers.
So, if your children are facing another aimless summer, but you aren’t sure what summer camp is all about, here are 10 reasons why your kids need camp.
1. Summer Camps are safe and held to strict guidelines for campers. We select staff that have the well being of their campers as their highest priorities. For some family environments, it might be a safer choice than a mismatch of summer childcare.
2. Summer Camps build quality relationships. Summer Camp is the only place where children can build quality relationships with their peers and cabin leaders. Where else can an eight year old boy receive such attention and friendship from an 18 year old? School is so segregated that children do not build bonds with older children. Friendships are also so much deeper as they are living with their peers for six days, 24 hours a day
3. Summer Camps are a place of acceptance. Riley was a young man with a speech disorder. Although he had a hard time being in public or fitting into school he decided to attend summer camp. The time that he spent at summer camp was all he needed. His confidence soared. Every child, not just special needs children, have the opportunity to reinvent themselves at camp. It is a place where past labels are dropped and new beginnings can take place.
4. Summer Camps allow campers to grow as a community, apart from the pressure of parents or teachers. They can decide what clothes to wear, what activities to sign up for, what to get at the snack shack, etc. It is a rare opportunity for children to make their own decisions, and they have to live with those choices. Sometimes poor choices are made and that is part of learning. The staff members provide a safety net, providing a watchful eye ensuring that your daughter does not live on a diet of snack food and that your son changes his clothes.
5. Summer Camps provides a break from the stresses of family life. For parents it might be a time for a vacation or much needed time for themselves to refresh. Children can get off the couch or computer, leave behind their neighborhood, and experience the outdoors in a whole new way.
6. Summer Camps are a place of moral learning. We at Dauphin Bible Camp are a non-denominational Christian camp and as such adhere to moral standards in speech, attitude, and actions. Campers and staff alike must respect and help each other.
7. Summer Camps bring out every child’s strengths so that they can succeed and belong, gain self confidence, be a part of a team, feel safe and accepted. We also have camps that are designed for a specific childs strengths including horse camp, media camp, special needs camp, and golf camp.
8. Summer Camps help It is said that as soon as a child is born you begin the process of letting go. Parents need to allow their children to develop and grow into the independent adults that they are destined to become. Often camp separation is harder on the parents than it is on the camper. This allows for the growth of campers and parents alike so that future separations, like college, are easier.
9. Summer Camps provide unique activities that no parent or school can provide. We provide horsemanship, archery, riflery, card making, BMX biking, sports, drama, journalism, nature lore, swimming, golf, campfires, team builders, and more in one week.
10. Summer Camp means community living. For children who don’t have siblings, who have never had to share a room or speak up and be assertive to get their needs met, it is a wonderful lesson in patience, tolerance and interpersonal skills. Camp lets kids put into practice the life skills that their parents try to teach them all winter.
This video, put out by the American Camping Association, gives a glimpse into why Camp is so important in our society.
I developed lasting friendships...
I learned self-esteem...
I became a team player...
I learned how to care...
I became a counselor...
We Went to Camp. Shouldn't You?
Emma Roberts, Hill Harper, Lisa Loeb, Kerri Strug, Michael DeLorenzo, Justin Chambers, Paul Adelstein, James Pickens, Blair Underwood, Sharon Lawrence, Frank Sesno, Glynn Turman, Ashlan Gorse, and Lisa Raye share how their lives have changed Because of Camp…™.
Concept of the game
The goal of the game is for campers to find the message that Maid Marian wants delivered to Robin Hood which is scattered throughout the playing field, hidden in tins. Once they find a tin they take it to Nottingham and try to unscramble the message; Nottingham is also where they can get more money if theirs is taken away. They are also avoiding the Sheriff and his tax collectors who will stop them to see if they have any money and if they don’t then they have to go to jail. Meanwhile the rest of the cabin leaders are all running around with roles of their own. Prince John and his Army want to eliminate Robin Hood and protect their treasury, and Robin Hood and the Merry Men are trying to save people from jail, steal from the treasury and help the campers find Marian’s message. The game ends when the message is solved.
People of Nottingham (Team 1)-no flagging tape
- Start at Nottingham
- Collect Tins To unscramble the message
- Once Maid Marion knows the entire message the people of Nottingham and robin hood and the merry men win
- Start the game with 2 coins
- Watch out for the Tax collectors and Prince John’s Army
Tax collectors (team 2) - Blue Flag tape
- Led by the sheriff
- Start at prince johns castle
- Catch people of Nottingham and tax them one coin (if they do not have a coin they must go to jail)
- Must walk with them to jail
- Running away from merry men
Merry Men (Team 3) - Green Flag Tape
- Can start anywhere
- Free Prisoners (Run into the jail without being caught, take one prisoner with them and go out into the forest, don’t have to go all the way to Nottingham)
- Catch Tax Collectors (Tax collector hands over any money they have and any prisoners that are with them) Tax collector can run and leave the prisoners behind if they do not want to get tagged
- Take coins back to Nottingham for the poor
- Rob Prince John’s Treasury (Run into the castle and find treasury and take a handful of coins to take back to Nottingham )
- Can be Caught by Prince John’s Army
Prince John’s Army (Team 4) - Yellow Flag Tape
- Catch People of Nottingham and Merry Men
- If they catch a Merry Man they take all of their money and put it back into the treasury and take them to jail
- If they catch a Person of Nottingham they must either take all of their money, or take them to jail, or take any tins they have and re hide them.
- Either collects tins or stays to help unscramble message
- Exempt from being taxed and also anyone with her cannot be taxed
- Prince John’s Army may catch her and escort her to jail, but she can just leave right away
- Any people of Nottingham with her must run because they can be put in jail by the army
- Catches people of Nottingham
- Takes all money from People of Nottingham
- Cannot put anyone in jail
- Catch Tax Collectors and take all of their money
- Rob Treasury and can take whole bucket
- Can get caught by Prince John’s Army and goes to jail
- If he gets into jail to free people, there is a jail break
- Can catch anyone and take all of their money and take them to jail
- If Robin Hood is caught and Prince John is at the castle he may order his guards to collect Maid Marion
- Once Maid Marion is at the jail she must decide to either
- Stay in Jail herself for the rest of the game
- Flip a coin Heads there is a jail break, Tails Robin Hood is executed (game goes on without him)